Volunteer with us
Volunteers are an integral part of the Medicine Hat Women’s Shelter Society. It is through our volunteer’s efforts that we are able to meet many of the goals and objectives of the agency. Our volunteers are truly the backbone of our organization, without their dedication and commitment; we could not offer the level of service we do to our community.
The Volunteer Receptionist will answer the telephone and front door and must be prepared to answer calls made to the helpline and refer to the appropriate person, and be flexible enough to assist the staff in another capacity if necessary.
Children’s program volunteers provide support to children whose families are accessing MHWSS programs and services. Volunteers can choose to volunteer on a regular scheduled basis, or on a “call as needed” basis. The volunteer may be asked to provide childcare in the shelter for clients who need to attend appointment; supervise activities (i.e. crafts, reading, playing, etc.) provide childcare during support group sessions, or assist in our daycare program.
Donations volunteers assist with sorting, picking up donations from retailers, and putting items in the donation rooms.
Kitchen support volunteers prepare meals in consultation with our Household Support Worker. Assistance is often needed with lunch and supper prep. Volunteers may also prepare baked goods.
Special events volunteers provide their time and skills in assisting with events organized within the community on behalf of the Medicine Hat Women’s Shelter Society, such as casinos, information displays, and annual fundraising events.
Our Volunteer Requirements
We are looking for Volunteers who will uphold the following requirements:
- Will respect our client’s right to confidentiality
- Are able to suspend judgment when encountering behaviors and attitudes foreign to their own
- Can work with others without discrimination as to nationality, race, belief, class, sexual orientation or gender
- Have personal attitudes that reflect the aims of the Medicine Hat Women’s Shelter Society
- Are able to make a commitment to their work at the Shelter
- Have the ability to respect others and listen with compassion
- Are open, friendly, dependable, willing to learn and self-reliant
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age & have not accessed the services of Medicine Hat Women’s Shelter Society within the past 2 years
- Criminal record check and child intervention check are needed to work in shelter.
Apply to Volunteer
with the Medicine Hat Women’s Shelter Society